using different platforms/initiatives that are present in the organisation to promote collaboration for e.g., Project Market place, Tata Innovista, etc. One of the key values which we have defined in our Drive Ahead framework is collaboration, which is ingrained in the organisation.
Project Marketplace platform helps to enhance collaboration and increase efficiencies by providing on demand niche skills and staff optimizing solutions. Any employee from any corner of the globe can post a piece of work (project) on the marketplace. The platform enables interested employees to apply and contribute (no approvals required to either post or work on a project).
Tata InnoVista is a unique 'One Tata' platform for recognizing and celebrating innovations of the companies at the group level. Participating in the group-wide initiative encourages and motivates the teams and promotes a culture of collaborative innovation, learning and sharing. Tata InnoVista demonstrates the ability of our teams to solve real business problems with innovative solutions, their focus on creating visible impact and the intrapreneur culture.
As an organization our vision is evidenced in how our business has evolved over the years, we deliver a New World of Communications to advance the reach and leadership of our customers and partners. We have focused on unlocking opportunities for businesses by enabling borderless growth, enhancing efficiency & delivering product innovation. It is this strong sense of purpose that is then brought to life through our leadership signature-DRIVE AHEAD-a sharpened focus of agile mindset, ownership and accountability, can-do attitude, problem-solving, collaboration and continuous learning. These signatures are the bed rock of our culture, our way of living and leading we believe for a business to fully capitalize on the growth opportunities in store, they must undergo complete and fundamental transformation. Employees are part of the company’s vision and values where they utilize different platforms to display these values for e.g. a) through Applause, our R&R platform, employees are awarded based on their display of Drive Ahead values, b) through project marketplace they collaborate with each other across departments, levels and geographies, c) employees take part in ‘Shape the Future’ Ideation/Innovation based initiatives and come together to build innovative solutions to enable our vision of advancing the reach and leadership of our customers through digitally enabled offerings.
conducting annual engagement survey that provides insights about our people and processes and how could we improve in different aspects and provide best in class employee experience. Pulse surveys are also conduced to take periodic inputs from the employees. Based on these insights, initiatives are carried out at corporate, BU and regional level aligned to the emerging focus areas from these insights
As a company, Innovation/Ideation is deeply rooted in our DNA and forms an important pillar of our value. To promote and crowdsource innovation, we have various dedicated platforms/initiatives and a dedicated team managing it. As a company, we have created 2-3 businesses from the suggestion provided by our employees on such forums, like Netfoundry. If we find any idea worth investing in, we rally resources to bring ideas to life. For e.g., Shape the Future is Tata Communications internal innovation program and a central enabler to encourage employees to look beyond Tata Communications current offerings and create innovative solutions that could help to overcome the constraints and solve the customer(s) problems and create significant benefits to Tata Communications. Some of the key programs under STF are STF Think-A-Thon, STF Sprints, STF Disrupt, STF University and Innovators Club.
• We provide a nurturing environment through our systems and processes and have moved away from rating system in the new performance management process. We instead have a concept of ‘managers as coaches’ where managers have continuous coaching conversations with their team members and guide them to exceed their goals, necessary trainings and certifications that employees need to undertake, and the conversations are forward looking
• We have well designed and comprehensive learning and development programs for employees at all job levels and functions, both technical, behavioural, managerial and leadership focussed. TCLA (Tata Communications Learning Academy) platform provides opportunity for employees to learn skills and technologies as per their area of interest and they are encouraged to utilize this platform, with on the go accessibility through mobile app.
• We believe in creating value for our employees through opportunities for learning and growing, culture, engagement and well-being as important elements of how we think and work. We have a host of initiatives across the globe with the aim to achieve holistic wellbeing, inclusive of physical, mental, and emotional health and wellbeing, which also drives business success. Programs such as LEAP, enabling infrastructure, EAP, Flexi working, Sports activities and tie-ups with city marathon organizers, on-campus recreation and wellness rooms, best in class insurance and leave benefits.
Company develops their value based on the employees and changing internal and market scenario. To enable our Strategy, it is imperative to steer towards clear direction and shared ambition. The company values know as Drive Ahead Values help us navigate towards this common purpose and are embedded into our culture, our talent processes and systems.
• Drive Ahead values are spoken of, not only in townhalls and leadership connects but are also lived through our programs and policies in our day-to-day work. We have built-in internal models and teams which are living examples of DRIVE values including high cross functional collaboration.
• Our leaders, through townhalls, leadership talks, podcasts continuously highlight the Drive Ahead values, providing exemplary examples from their day-to-day work life encouraging employees.
• We also conduct an employee engagement survey every year and measure, amongst other things, the employee perception on our values and take subsequent measures at a corporate, BU and regional level to strengthen our employee’s alignment to our company values.
Below are few of the aspects which makes employees love working here:
1. Flexibility –Existing policies which provided options to the employees which helps them maintain work life balance
2. New Technologies – Tata Communication works will all the new technologies that exist in the market and employees get to work in new technology areas which helps them grow in their career
3. Collaboration – There is culture of collaboration which is embedded in the organisation which helps them to learn from their peers, grow together and they have someone to fall back in case they have any queries.
Some examples of policies/practices that support the above:
Work from Home Policy - Even before COVID-19 changed the work pattern for all, Tata Communications believed that every employee requires some amount of flexibility in order to focus on their job and fulfil their personal commitments.
Flexi-Time Program - we have introduced ‘flexi time’ for new parents wherein employees who’ve just completed their maternity/paternity/adoption leave can opt to work remotely for a period of 3 months with no manager approval required. This gives them a period of 3 months to slowly adjust to work.
Tata Communication Learning Academy - Tata Communications Learning Academy (TCLA) is a one-stop-shop interface offering multi-modal learning powered by an intelligent AI-based recommendation engine, offering free, company-curated as well as contextualized content across all skill categories; is a host to role-skill academies aiding in role-based development journeys building critical organization-wide capabilities (across skills and proficiencies).
Project Marketplace - Project Marketplace platform helps to enhance collaboration and increase efficiencies by providing on demand niche skills and staff optimizing solutions. Any employee from any corner of the globe can post a piece of work (a project) on the marketplace.
To deliver the reimagine strategy, culture is at the core of the transformation initiatives. A.S. Lakshmi Narayanan the CEO & MD of Tata Communications leads the values and culture initiatives. He believes in leadership with trust, innovation and empathy. He is personally engaged with all teams front-ending company initiatives and lending his voice to build momentum. Some of the initiatives which Lakshmi leads from the front are:
• Ethics Weeks: His key message is to recognize our role in being devoted to providing a safe, healthy, and fair work environment for our employees, fostering ethical business practices through various policies and bring to life the Tata Code of Conduct.
• Sustainability: Lakshmi’s message to all employees is to reaffirm our actions towards being EarthSmart to support the environment.
• Drive Week: Mobilizing support from employees to volunteer and touch thousands of lives to make a difference across different programs.
• Innovation: Promotes internal programs such as Shape the Future, InnoVista and STF Disrupt to develop new ideas and nurture a culture of disruptive ideas and celebrating innovations. Participating in such company programs encourages and motivates the teams and promotes a culture of collaborative innovation, learning and sharing.
In addition to using internal platforms to drive these topics, Lakshmi actively engages with employees through town halls and leadership forum meetings to garner support across all parts of the organisation.
• We provide a comprehensive and best in class bouquet of benefits to our employees
• Primary and secondary care giver leaves that includes leaves for adoption. These leaves are kept gender agnostic with an attempt towards breaking gender role stereotypes at workplace
• Our flexi benefits policy allows employees to choose the basket of benefits that add most value to their lives- e.g., younger generations tend to value adding parents into health insurance coverages or may choose a gym membership as a part of their benefit allocations
• The leave policy enables employees to avail long leaves annually to rejuvenate or carry out their personal interests like travelling, attending advanced programs for personal development or rejuvenation etc.
• Flexible work arrangements policy offers work from home and part time work options for those who have varying degrees of work life integration needs
• Our employee volunteering policy provides an avenue for employees interested in contributing to social /community projects
• LEAP (Life event assistance portal) supports employees to manage transitions during key life events like bearing or adopting a child
• The employee assistance program offers reaching out to counsellors confidentially to avail their services for any mental and emotional wellbeing requirements
Tata Communications is a digital ecosystem enabler that powers today’s fast-growing digital economy. The Company enables the digital transformation of enterprises globally, including 300 of the Fortune 500 – unlocking opportunities for businesses by enabling borderless growth, boosting product innovation and customer experience, improving productivity and efficiency, building agility and managing risk. With its solutions orientated approach, proven managed service capabilities and cutting-edge infrastructure, Tata Communications drives the next level of intelligence powered by cloud, mobility, Internet of Things (IoT), collaboration, security and network services. From utility to transformation, connectivity is an essential fabric of sustenance for the economy. Tata Communications is committed to enabling Industry leaders in this New World of Communications™, with our unique promise of delivering secure connected digital experiences.
Tower 4, 4th to 8th Floor,
Equinox Business Park,
LBS Marg, Kurla (W)