DaVita consists of 65,000 hardworking teammates (employees) who are dedicated to supporting patients across the entire kidney care journey. We believe that belonging starts with each of us, so we empower teammates to create belonging with each other. Creating a sense of belonging fosters greater collaboration and connection.
DaVita’s Belonging strategy is anchored in three behaviors that set the standard for how teammates work together: creating trust and safety, respecting and valuing others, providing fair and consistent support. Every teammate is a participant in realizing our vision for Belonging.
In 2022, 81% of teammates reported that they felt like they belonged at DaVita.
Part of living our core value of Integrity requires doing what we say—across all levels of DaVita. We walk the walk, and teammates respond positively to this open and transparent environment. Our vision for the future includes:
• Representation in Leadership. DaVita is one of the first organizations to earn Management Leadership for Tomorrow’s Black Equity at Work certification in 2021 and is now part of the inaugural cohort of employers seeking Hispanic Equity at Work certification.
• Equitable pay. Teammates in the same position, performing at the same level and in similar geographies, are to be paid equitably relative to one another, regardless of their gender, race or ethnicity.
At DaVita, fostering an environment that is rich in diversity and cultivates a sense of belonging is not simply an aspiration, but an imperative. Diversity has many dimensions that contribute to DaVita’s unique viewpoints.
• 78% of DaVita teammates are women, and 56% are people of color.
• 53% of DaVita leaders with profit and loss responsibility are women, and 30% are people of color.
• 74% of managers and 61% of directors are women.
• Veterans make up 2% of DaVita’s 65,000 teammates. DaVita has hired more than 3,000 veterans over the past decade.
We also regularly seek feedback from our employees through the Pulse survey. This semi-annual questionnaire covers topics like belonging and engagement, which helps us identify trends and act quickly on solutions to improve individual experiences in our Village.
DaVita’s robust portfolio of career development programs promotes equal and equitable opportunity to support teammates’ personal and professional growth within the organization. From a program that supports high-performing teammates in their dream to pursue an associate’s degree in nursing to DaVita University professional development courses, DaVita supports teammates’ growth from the moment they’re hired to the time they retire. Highlights of these programs include:
• 38,000+ teammates are a part of Clinical Ladders, DaVita’s career pathways program.
• 1,450+ teammates are pursuing or have received their nursing degree, funded by DaVita, as part of our Bridge to Your Dreams program.
• 16,000+ teammates participated in a DaVita University professional development course.
DaVita is a community first and a company second. Our company values are aligned with our employees because collectively, we share a common purpose, a common culture and common goals. We are guided by seven core values:
1. Service excellence
4. Continuous Improvement
We work proactively to cultivate a sense of belonging for all teammates, to have strong representation of women and people of color throughout the organization, and to create opportunities for teammates at every level to increase their earning potential.
• DaVita’s online wellness platform, Virgin Pulse, supports teammates’ well-being by providing wellness activities, health challenges, and sleep and nutrition guides. Approximately 47% of DaVita teammates participated in a health and well-being program in 2022.
• The DaVita Teammate Assistance Program provides a network of licensed counselors and professional services to teammates and their household members, regardless of insurance status, covering the cost of 10 counseling sessions to support them with life’s challenges.
• Access to Bright Horizons Advantage Family Care programs, which include backup childcare, access to college coaching, and support for parents of children with special needs.
• Expanded teammate resource groups (TRGs), including Asian and Pacific Islander, Black, LGBTQ+ and Working Parents.
• An opportunity to share well-being stories through the We Are Well Award. 100 teammates who submit their physical, financial or mental health stories have the opportunity to be selected to receive teammate-only, fully-paid DaVita medical insurance premiums for the upcoming year, which can equate to about $2,000 in savings.
• To support professional development pursuits for our teammates, we introduced Clinical Ladders in late 2021—a career-mapping model that puts teammates in the driver’s seat of their career. This program provides clarity around what it takes for teammates to progress in their role and links career progression to compensation, which is in line with our pay-for-performance philosophy.
• The option to pursue an associate’s degree through the Bridge to Your Dreams program, which is designed for high-performing teammates and offers financial support, uniquely designed resources and support with role placement.
DaVita CEO Javier Rodriguez creates time to connect one-on-one with DaVita teammates, to understand and honor their experiences and ground his leadership in human connection. In fact, the powerful sense of inclusivity and community created by the teammates within DaVita is one of the main reasons he has dedicated more than 20 years to the company and continues to strive to create an environment where everyone belongs.
In a recent episode of FORTUNE Leadership Next, Javier shared, “what I want most is [for DaVita] to be a differentiated place to work. I want you to have purpose. I want you to really belong. I want you to be connected to your work. In order to do that, we have to co-own our work environment.”
Rodriguez also understands the value of reflecting diversity and inclusion in the organization he leads. He is one of 550 CEOs of the world’s leading organizations to sign the CEO Action Pledge for Diversity and Inclusion.
• Tuition reimbursement benefits for teammates to further their education in nursing, business, social work and dietetics/nutrition. In 2022, DaVita invested $3.5 million in tuition reimbursement, supporting 1,400+ teammates’ academic ambitions.
• Through Dollars for Doers, teammates receive a $15 credit per volunteer hour logged to donate to a nonprofit of their choice, up to $500 per year.
• Access to a Little Star financial gift or additional paid leave for eligible parents upon the birth or adoption of a child.
• DaVita Village Network, a program that allows teammates to voluntarily contribute funds to support each other during times of hardship.
• Included Health, which can be thought of as a confidential concierge service that supports LGBTQ+ teammates and their household dependents in finding and accessing medical, mental, and dental care.
• Access to Omada, a guided digital program, which helps teammates enrolled in a DaVita medical plan with hypertension, pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
• Newly enhanced family-building benefits such as fertility benefits and surrogacy and adoption assistance.
• Access to a new digital family health platform called Maven that offers support to teammates who are navigating fertility, adoption, surrogacy or loss. Our teammates have access to: 1) Specialized virtual care with doctors and nurses across 35+ specialties, as well as access to clinic/provider referrals; 2) Maven Wallet to track and manage reimbursable adoption or surrogacy expenses; and 3) Maven Milk, which allows teammates to send milk home to their baby or carry it with them while traveling for work.
• The Employee Stock Purchase Plan, a voluntary benefit that gives eligible teammates the opportunity to purchase up to $25,000 in DaVita stock at a minimum 15% discount.
• DailyPay, a program that allows teammates to access their earned but unpaid wages before payday.
• Access to the Teammate Banking Program through Bank of America, which provides special banking benefits—like a bundle of no-fee banking services—and an array of special offers to pursue everyday investments, like buying a home or car, building a financial portfolio or improving lines of credit.
• SurgeryPlus, which provides teammates on a DaVita medical plan access to top providers in the country at a discount, as well a personal care advocate to help select a provider and navigate the process leading up to surgery.
DaVita is a health care provider focused on transforming care delivery to help improve quality of life for patients globally. The company is one of the largest providers of kidney care services in the U.S. and has been a leader in clinical quality and innovation for more than 20 years. DaVita cares for patients at every stage and setting along their kidney health journey—from helping to slow the progression of kidney disease to helping to support transplantation, from acute hospital care to dialysis at home. As of March 31, 2023, DaVita served approximately 200,100 patients at 2,707 outpatient dialysis centers in the United States. The company also operated 351 outpatient dialysis centers in 11 other countries worldwide. DaVita is committed to reducing hospitalizations, improving mortality, and works collaboratively to propel the kidney care industry to adopt a more equitable and high-quality standard of care for all patients, everywhere.
2000 16th St. Denver, CO
Hospital & Health Care