We have regular team meetings and cross-functional working groups. In addition to face to face meetings, we also utilise video conferencing and instant messaging to enable collaboration and keep everyone connected. We have recently introduced a new HR Information System, which has an engaging social media-like homepage and encourages our colleagues to connect no matter where their location.
Our vision is to be known as the best technology partner to work for and with, and so our internal culture and the experience we deliver to our customers is key to our success. We review progress by measuring our customer satisfaction through NPS (currently sector leading) and our colleague engagement. We are committed to continually improving engagement levels across all areas.
We use several methods to listen and seek out the ideas and opinions of our colleagues:
• We send out regular surveys and hold focus groups
• Managers hold regular team meetings and one-to-ones
• Annually everyone in the Company is invited to an informal catch-up with a member of the Executive Board
We then ensure that we act on the feedback provided.
One of our strategic objectives is to nurture our people’s brilliance, with colleagues encouraged to focus on their personal development. Accessible to all colleagues, we deliver a calendar of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) events each year and incentivise colleagues to invest their time on their development. We have a policy of developing and promoting from within, rather than recruiting externally. In 2022 we promoted 55 people (over a quarter of the workforce). This approach is advocated by our Executive Board who have all been promoted internally into their current positions.
During our recruitment process, we ask interview questions based on our Company values to ensure that we are employing people whose workplace behaviours are likely to correspond with them. We then ensure that all our new colleagues understand the importance of our Company values during their induction, where we get them to complete several activities based on them. We host an annual Values Week event, with activities, workshops and competitions to raise awareness of our Company values, ensure our colleagues connect with them and understand how to apply them. Our values are also displayed around our offices.
We have quarterly Values Champion awards and the winner gets awarded a £250 voucher and our HQ bar named after them. We also have a Values Champion of the Year Award, the winner of which gets a £2,000 voucher.
In the last 12 months:
• With the support of our ESG team of volunteers across the business, we have measured our scope 3 emissions for the first time, implemented environmental improvements and made our entire business carbon neutral.
• Planted 200 trees at a primary school in Birmingham and committed to planting 200 more this Autumn.
• Supported one of our colleagues who is hosting a Ukrainian family, by providing a broadband connection and paying their council tax bill.
• Our owners have donated £30,000 to a grass roots charity who have logistics supplying aid from Europe to and within Ukraine, £25,000 to the Princes Trust and £25,000 to the Children’s Sailing Club.
• Continued to work in association with Ahead Partnership, a social enterprise that connects businesses with schools, colleges and universities, to extend young peoples’ knowledge and experience of the world of work, through activities such as work experience, interview practice, careers panels and speed networking. Since the start of our programme with Ahead Partnership in 2019 we have supported 7,121 young people enhance their employability and give them insight into the world of work.
• Gave all our team members the afternoon off to attend the Intercity Festival, a team social with live music, games, food and drinks in order to network and foster a sense of team camaraderie.
• Refurbished our Bolton office, including installing height adjustable desks and a pool table so that our colleagues can socialise.
• Created development plans for all colleagues, resulting in 55% of our senior vacancies being filled by internal candidates in 2022.
• Enrolled another cohort of delegates on to our Management Academy programme, which provides best practice management training, a level 3 ILM qualification in leadership and management and allows our managers to share management perspectives with their peers. In addition to this, members of the management academy are mentored by a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
• Launched our menopause policy and appointed a menopause champion.
• Appointed mental health first aiders.
• Launched our Neonatal Leave Policy, which gives up to 12 weeks additional fully paid leave to parents whose new born baby is admitted to neonatal care so they can take additional time off to be with their child.
- Caring about the Intercity Team, the service we provide to our customers, giving something back to the local community and reducing our impact on the environment.
- Ensuring that all of the Intercity Team think about security in both their work and personal lives.
- Delivering on his commitments to the business and the people in it.
- Continually focussing on innovation.
- Driving the Intercity culture and making it a brilliant place to work.
To drive our growth plans, we provide an all company bonus scheme, whereby we all work collaboratively to drive the business forward and we are all rewarded as a result. The bonus is paid as a percentage of our colleagues’ salary and is linked to Intercity’s annual performance, the more we grow the larger the percentage of the bonus. We include additional non-financial metrics, such as our Net Promoter Score, as we would like to encourage and reward positive performance that drives attraction and retention of customers, which is integral for the business to succeed.
We provide IT solutions in communications, managed services and secure cloud to enable workforces to safely operate. We deliver innovative digital workplace and enterprise mobility services to over 4000, public and private businesses, large and small, across the globe.
101 - 114 Holloway Head, Birmingham
0 - 1000