As a fully remote company with 800+ team members across 40+ states, 38 countries, and 18+ timezones, we’ve adopted a culture of asynchronous work. This work style allows teams to collaborate effectively across locations, time zones, skills, and each individual’s energy levels, and empowers employees to work in a setting that fits their needs. In practice, we live on Slack, with most conversations in public channels. It mimics the open-office feel and allows everyone to search the chat logs if they need to find something that happened when they weren’t around.
For over a decade, Zapier has been a leader in the no-code automation space. Employees are energized by Zapier’s positive impact on our customers’ lives. Our focus on customers became glaringly obvious when the pandemic hit and we created a $1 million small business assistance fund for struggling customers. Internally, Zapier offers multiple growth opportunities for team members: a generous education budget, including curriculums and career pathways designed to help employees grow into new roles (like engineering or technical recruiting).
We have several initiatives to ensure and promote a positive, supportive, inclusive, and equitable environment. We believe in DIBE as DNA. This means we focus our efforts on decreasing systemic bias that may exist inside Zapier’s formal and informal people programs and processes. This includes, but is not limited to, our hiring practices, our promotion processes, our pay philosophies, our performance review practices, our meeting facilitation practices, our communication etiquette, how we allocate assignments, and who has access to development opportunities. Additionally, one of Zapier’s values is growth through feedback: we execute 360 reviews and quarterly check-ins with managers, and encourage employees to give and receive consistent feedback.
Zapier wants all employees to do their best work in a role they love, with a sense of opportunity, purpose, and equity. We offer career plans to every employee, access to our internal job board to see which jobs in other departments are/will be available, and support for potential career jumps. Zapier also has internal career coaches available to 100% of employees who request one, two unique training programs for current employees interested in technical recruiting or engineering, and our Next Play Program, aimed at helping employees find their next job—at Zapier or beyond.
Our values are essential to who we are. Here’s how we practice them:
– Default to transparency—everyone has access to company financials, and all important work happens in public Slack channels.
– Default to action—employees strive to deliver something real today over something maybe better later.
– Empathy over ego—through empathy, we serve our customers and each other better.
– Build the robot—if it’s a laborious or repetitive process, we create systems to help automate it.
– Grow through feedback—we encourage team members to give consistent feedback to everyone they work with.
As a fully remote company, we make a concerted effort to stay connected and encourage unique approaches to team building. We have hundreds of Slack channels devoted to socializing, across a variety of topics and interests, annual week-long in-person company retreats, ERG groups that focus on elevating underserved communities at Zapier, and weekly pair buddies—in which employees are randomly paired for a Zoom call to get to know each other. Zapier team members work on their preferred schedule, and we offer unlimited vacation to all employees.
Here are some ways Wade Foster, Zapier’s CEO, models our values on a regular basis:
– Grow through feedback—he regularly asks for feedback from all team members, does company-wide listening tours and monthly AMAs on important topics, and leads a workshop for new employees on how to give effective feedback.
– Default to transparency—he asks our finance team to provide monthly, company-wide financial updates and regularly publishes updates on our company blog.
– Empathy, no ego & build the robot—he invests in the growth of our industry, starts initiatives like National No-code Day, volunteers to coach new founders, and gets involved in local startup weekends.
Zapier is 100% remote, which means our employees work whenever and wherever is best for them. We provide highly competitive salaries on a country-by-country basis – paying in the 90th percentile of each employee’s respective market. Beyond compensation, our benefits include:
– Healthcare and retirement plans for employees within our entities and a regional benefits premium added to salary ranges for others to mitigate costs of healthcare & taxes.
– 14 weeks of fully paid leave for all new parents, biological & adoptive, as well as access to family forming benefits through Carrot Fertility.
– Budgets for meetups, books, music, software, coaching, etc.
– Equity & bi-annual bonuses so that our employees share in the success they’ve helped create.
– 2 annual company retreats to awesome places.
Zapier has been fully remote since 2011, so we didn’t have to adapt to the new normal—we were already there. However, given the effects of the pandemic, employees were encouraged to take as much time off as needed, for illness or mental health reasons, and they could (and still can) repurpose their learning and development budget for extended mental health services.
When stay-at-home orders went into place, Zapier created a $1 million assistance program for our small business customers. As a result, we helped thousands of customers pivot virtually overnight and stay afloat during COVID-19.
Zapier is on a mission to make automation work for everyone so that every person and every business can move forward at growth speed. Zapier is the leader in no-code automation, always making it easier to automate workflows and move data across 5,000+ apps. We work with what you work with, across your apps and tech stack, so you can make magic happen, regardless of your IT infrastructure or support team.
548 Market St. San Francisco, CA
0 - 1000